u The Main Dish: Dear Dish on the Ampersand

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Dear Dish on the Ampersand

Dear Dishmund:

What is your view on the ampersand? Frankly, I find it a bit questionable. People use it when they're too lazy to write "and." It sits there - sharing the number 7 space on my keyboard - just mocking me. Some days I think it might do away with the number 7 (Sesame Street style) and take over the key entirely. Then where would we be?

I struggle with this issue, as I find the Grammar Police (like the KPG) scary and merciless. I think they've infiltrated every crack in society.

This little pretzel-side symbol and the Grammar Police PolitBureau are running my life! Help!

Sincerely,
&Anonymous&


Dear Anonymous:

According to Dish's translation and grammar mentor, Malcolm Williams, and the style guide of the public servant, The Canadian Style, the ampersand is properly used only when it forms part of a corporate name, such as Johnson & Johnson or Ben & Jerry's.

Other style guides tend to agree, but also allow for the use of the ampersand in abbreviations where it would seem strange to write out the "and" (for example, R&D as opposed to R and D).

A good example of both of the above uses is AT&T — a corporate name and an abbreviation all rolled into one. How exciting!

We must also not forget to mention that APA style uses the ampersand for in-text citations, such as (Dish & Menions, 2008).

Any other use of the ampersand is evidence of pure and simple laziness. Blatant misuse of the ampersand should be reported to the Grammar Police immediately at 613-233-2226.

Dish

2 Comments:

At July 09, 2008 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's not forget its use in my favorite abbreviation: R&R

 
At July 21, 2008 4:54 PM, Blogger Bex said...

Dear cousin Dish,
I am totally guilty of using said ampersand inappropriatly, mostly because I am too lazy to write out the whole 3 letters it takes to spell 'and'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home