u The Main Dish: Upper Canada Puts the Kibosh on Garlic Fingers

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Monday, January 16, 2006

Upper Canada Puts the Kibosh on Garlic Fingers


This past summer I took a trip to Perth, Ontario, as part of my Big Things Quest. (Side note: This quest involves finding over-sized, tacky road side attractions and having my picture taken with them. I got the idea from this site: http://www.bigthings.ca/.) Anyhoo, off I went to Perth in search of a mammoth cheese, built to commemorate the world's biggest cheddar, which was built for the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. Much to my chagrin, I arrived in Perth only to discover that they had dismantled this historic artifact. Just as I was cursing a wasted trip to a town that really doesn't have anything else to see, to my utter delight I discovered that the town of Perth houses a Pizza Delight. Now my Maritime connections will understand that Pizza Delight is home of the most delicious garlic fingers - a delicacy that I have been unable to find here in upper Canada. It consists of pizza dough covered in garlic, cheese and sometimes bacon bits; it is often eaten with donair sauce. Sounds simple, but it is ever so tasty. Well, this weekend, I was in Perth again, for a planned visit to Pizza Delight. To my horror, I discovered that I just got in under the wire. As of today, they are changing the Pizza Delight to some other new restaurant with a whole different menu. Why is Ontario so against the garlic finger? Just when I finally find a place way closer than the Maritimes to satisfy my craving, they have to snatch it out of my grasp. And what is wrong with the people of Perth? First they got rid of the mammoth cheese, then the garlic fingers!!!! Is there even any reason to go there any more? Not from my point of view. This is one tourist they will not see again.

Song of the Moment: Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want by the Smiths

11 Comments:

At January 16, 2006 11:26 PM, Blogger Humour and last laugh said...

interesting.

 
At January 17, 2006 10:23 AM, Blogger Ferda said...

dang! those garlic fingers sound so good. It's sad that garlic fingers in donair sauce appeals to me at 9:23 in the morning. I think I have a problem.

Hi my name is Ferda and I'm a food-a-holic

 
At January 17, 2006 11:02 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

Just like pollcrazy to not realize that this is a blog about the Main Dish, and not about anyone else.

pollcrazy, if you feel snubbed, make your own blog! ;-)

As for garlic fingers...I'm pretty sure they had some of those up in Great Northern Pizza.

 
At January 17, 2006 11:19 AM, Blogger Dish said...

Thank you Palmer. At least someone understands me! ;o)
Where is this elusive Great Northern Pizza? Please do not say it is in Kap because it is almost as far to travel there as it is to the homeland...

 
At January 17, 2006 1:59 PM, Blogger Dish said...

I think it said they were getting a whole new menu. suckdiddlyuck.

 
At January 17, 2006 3:45 PM, Blogger Dish said...

I wonder do they deliver? :o)

 
At January 17, 2006 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of the Big Things Quest...
On the way to Miramichi, there is a giant lobster trap with PICNIC TABLES IN IT! I'm not quite sure if it's meant to be an attraction- you know all the tourists get their fries at the canteen and eat in it, or if it is in fact a trap and the picnic tables serve as bait. So, I guess go see it at your own risk...

 
At January 18, 2006 12:49 PM, Blogger Dish said...

I vote that it's a trap. Now, we must investigate to find out what they do with all those people once they lure them in there...

 
At January 18, 2006 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, do you think anyone CHOOSES to live on the outskirts of Miramichi??

 
At January 18, 2006 1:29 PM, Blogger iBenoit said...

I keep hearing ot this Big Things obsession of yours... You should post pictures.

 
At January 18, 2006 1:43 PM, Blogger Dish said...

You know very well that I would need technical support for that, artoo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home