u The Main Dish: Go Sens Go?

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Go Sens Go?

So last night a bunch of us headed out on the town to catch some play-off action. First we wandered up to City Hall, only to find that the advertised "big screens" really weren’t so big and there was a very small crowd of fans.

So, thinking there was no way we would find a place to sit on Sens Mile, we headed down into the market. I was actually surprised to find that we easily found seats for a large group at the second place we tried. Then I remembered that I live in Ottawa.

By the time we got settled the game was already in the second period and things were not looking good.

We ordered some nachos, which, sadly, were stale and way too salty and settled in to watch the game.

Highlights of the evening included Caroline chanting "Alfie, Alfie, Alfie" with her whole heart and soul along with the crowd at the bar and then leaning over and whispering to me, "who’s Alfie?"; discussing the pros of cons of agreeing to be your brother’s "significant other" to get free air fare; and discovering that the perfect woman is really not the perfect woman after all and exactly why she no longer holds the title.

But really, the crowning moment of the entire evening was the carriage ride home. Yes, you heard me right. We were heading home after the disappointing loss, feeling dejected and trying to decide whether to walk or grab a cab. When, what should we see but the Sens chariot (i.e. a horse-drawn carriage with the horse draped in a Sens flag). We knew what we had to do.

For a mere $50, the seven of us piled into the carriage and were transported from the market back up to the Sens mile. The Sens chariot also came complete with its very own furry little dog friend. Andrew, who sat up front with the driver (coach man?), got to hold said furry friend the entire trip.

I was just commenting to the others in the carriage with me, that the funniest thing about the trip would be if someone were to tell you the next day that they saw you driving about in the carriage. No sooner were the words out of my mouth, then we glided by a large group of people I know. Now, instead of hiding my face as a reasonable person would have done (oh dear...did I just use an EI decision phrase in my daily speech?!), we waved shouted, etc.

Shortly after, we were dropped at the nearest McDonald’s, which just added a touch of class to the whole adventure.

Maybe this is a "had to be there" funny story, but the pictures make it better. I will be posting them on my Facebook account later this evening, so feel free to check them out.

Random side note: Instead of telling people to say "cheese" when I take their picture now, I say "Do it for Facebook!" ;o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home