u The Main Dish: Singles Awareness Day

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Singles Awareness Day

As you may have read on Palmer’s World , I am not a great celebrator of Valentines Day. Some may even say that I am the Scrooge of Valentines Day (ahem). I feel that this is a discriminatory statement.

A "scrooge" by definition is a mean-spirited miserly person, or a selfish person who is unwilling to give or spend. Now, I may choose to celebrate a different holiday, but that does not necessarily make me selfish.

Somewhat related Clueless script sidetrack...
Cher: "Would you call me selfish?"
Dionne: "No. Not to your face."

So I ask you, do we consider Jewish people selfish because they don’t celebrate Christmas? Are Canadians selfish because they don’t celebrate Canada Day? Then what is the difference between celebrating Valentines Day vs. Singles Awareness Day? I fully embrace the SAD holiday. I send cards. I give gifts. I am inclusive in my celebrations. I remember more than just one certain person and there are both marrieds and singles included on my SAD giveaway list.

I also respect the fact that some people mark February 14 as a day of love and romance. When in a relationship with someone who feels this way, I make every attempt to support said person in their beliefs. I accept gifts graciously and even give gifts. I have been known to buy cheesy boxers covered in hearts. I have hand-paint golf tees to personalize them for Valentines day. I have made chocolate fondue. I have given back rubs until my hands have seized up like claws. I have even baked heart-shaped chocolate sandwich cookies from scratch to support others in their celebration of the day. So what is it exactly that you people want from me?!!

Singles unite! Don’t let a Hallmark holiday bring you down! Sure, you may not be getting flowers or jewellery, but nor do you have to argue with anyone about the position of the toilet seat, the correct way to squeeze the toothpaste tube or what to have for dinner. You don’t have to check with anyone but yourself before you make plans. You don’t have a curfew!

I, for one, will not be frightened or intimidated into compliance. I stand by my right to celebrate February 14th in any way I see fit. Power to the single people!

9 Comments:

At February 14, 2007 10:57 AM, Blogger Matt said...

By your definition
"A "scrooge" by definition is a mean-spirited miserly person, or a selfish person who is unwilling to give or spend."

So if your not selfish, I guess that means your "a mean-spirited miserly person"?

 
At February 14, 2007 12:01 PM, Blogger Dish said...

Matt, that was EXACTLY what I was trying to say. I'm so glad you were so quick to catch on. ;o)

 
At February 14, 2007 1:53 PM, Blogger Pollcrazy said...

It is nice to see that almost a year later I can still get a rise out of you!

Ba Humbug, who needs Valentines Day!

 
At February 14, 2007 7:22 PM, Blogger Rienne said...

Ah...the yearly S.A.D. rant. I look forward to it every year.

And, I repeat an earlier conversation, you should patent it! Other people are blogging your ideas....I'm telling you, you should get in on the ground floor with this thing.

 
At February 15, 2007 11:33 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

Joe, it isn't about the fact that it's a year later, it's the fact that you make all people feel like this.

*burn*

 
At February 15, 2007 2:22 PM, Blogger Dish said...

Thank you Palmer!

I also have to point out that I love how no one called me on the sentence, "Are Canadians selfish because they don’t celebrate Canada Day?", which should have said "Are Americans (or insert other nationality here) selfish because they don’t celebrate Canada Day?". Ha ha.

 
At February 15, 2007 4:26 PM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

awww. I was looking for an excuse to not celebrate Canada Day this year.

 
At February 15, 2007 5:47 PM, Blogger Pollcrazy said...

Fine, have a great life!

 
At February 17, 2007 7:09 PM, Blogger Dish said...

No need to be like that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home