u The Main Dish: Degrassi Junior High - Season 3

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Degrassi Junior High - Season 3

Most of you are well aware that I am a big fan of Degrassi. So much drama and teen angst! Lets you relive your teenage years (and the fashion) without actually having to relive any of it.

I recently watched Season 3 (courtesy of our friendly neighbourhood Ottawa Public Library) and it did not disappoint.

Just one small complaint - why did they have to Americanize it? For example, in one scene Melanie steals money from her mother's wallet so that she can go to a concert with Snake. The bills in the wallet - American money! Also, when Snake, Joey and Wheels go to the liquor store with fake i.d. they keep reassuring Snake that he definitely looks 21 - the legal drinking age in the good old US of A.


Now, I realize that Degrassi has a strong following in the States, but why do we have to cater our content to them. Would the show be less successful if the wallet contained Canadian money or if Snake was worried about not looking 19? Maybe it would help our neighbours to the south learn a little something about our country!

Anyway, a brighter note, which somewhat dampened my annoyance, was that in the season finale, they use the Gowan song "Cosmetics". I am talking Gowan before he became "You can call me Larry" Gowan (I still insist that was a really bad album title).

Apparently, in the ever depressing and hard to come by Degrassi movie, Gowan even makes a guest appearance. :o)

Yes, I still love him despite that Larry situation. What can I say, he's "a strange animal". :o)

1 Comments:

At June 04, 2007 11:40 AM, Blogger Ferda said...

you can get degrassi from the OPL. I'm so doing that now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home