u The Main Dish: Dear Dish on Pears

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Dear Dish on Pears

Dear Dish:

Pears in general are persnickity fruits. You buy them, and you wait and wait for them to ripen. And if you're off by a day - WHAM! - you've ruined your pear. I'm impartial to yellow pears, as I find they're sweeter and they don't leave a weird coating on your teeth like their questionable green cousins.

What type of pear do you prefer Dish?

Sincerely,
A Pear Snatcher


Dear Snatcher:

First, some vocabulary clarification. Impartial means unprejudiced or fair. If you are partial to something it means you have a liking or preference for it.

Now, on to the true subject at hand. I recently forced myself to like pears because I felt that it was ridiculous that I liked pear flavoured foods, such as yogurt and candies, but not the real thing. I was succesful in my attempts and the variety of pear I prefer is the the yellow Bartlett.

On a helpful side note, if you are taking a pear in your lunch and need to transport it, slipping it into a mitten will help prevent bruising. It is truly unfortunate that I have not come across a pear guard similar to the banana guard. It would indeed be practical; however, I suppose it would also be much less humourous.

Dish

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home