u The Main Dish: Dear Dish on the Batman TV series

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Dear Dish on the Batman TV series

Dear Dish:

How is it possible that Batman can be the darkest, most brooding character ever but they have the Batman TV series?

Sincerely,
Confused

Dear Confused:

Now, I wouldn't venture to say that I am, by any means, a comic book expert; however, since those I usually turn to for insight on questions such as this are the ones throwing this question my way, I will do my best. I have a theory regarding the Batman TV series. I do not profess it to be truth, merely speculation. Readers are more than welcome to share their thoughts on this topic.

The superhero Batman was first introduced to the public in 1939. This was the same year that World War II began. I can only imagine that Batman's dark, brooding character was a reflection of the mood felt by many members of society at that time.

By the time the Batman television series came onto the scene in 1966, people were likely tired of dark and brooding. The War had been over for 21 years at this point, but I imagine people were still attempting to put those dark and trying times behind them. They wanted entertainment that would make them laugh, not entertainment that would force them to reflect on mayhem and tragedy. They'd had enough of that in real life.

By making Batman into a campy, humorous, feel-good show, it provided the public with much needed comic relief after so much suffering. I speculate that the tv show was not so much a reflection of the superhero's actual character as it was a method of reaching an audience. It gave us all a superhero we could love and admire, but also one that could make us laugh.

The same style was adopted for Batman: The Movie, which I highly recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it. It is definitely a classic and scores 5 out of 5 cans of shark repellent Batspray in my books.

Hope this helps.
Dish

2 Comments:

At November 22, 2007 9:41 AM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

What insightful commentary. I wish I had some shark repellent right now. Crossing the Ottawa river is so treacherous in the morning.

 
At November 22, 2007 9:43 AM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

Homer: Adam West! Look, kids! Batman!
Lisa: Dad, that's not the real Batman!
Adam West: Of course I'm Batman. See? *Pulls out a photo* Here's a picture of me with Robin.
Bart: Who the hell's Robin?
Adam West: Oh, I guess you're only familiar with the new Batman movies. Michelle Pfeiffer..ha...the only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Merriwether or Eartha Kitt. And I didn't need a molded plastic suit to improve my physique *Taps chest* Pure West. and how come Batman doesn't dance anymore, remember the Bat-tussi? (he starts dancing the Bat-tussi)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home