u The Main Dish: Dear Dish Reminisces

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Monday, October 22, 2007

Dear Dish Reminisces

Oh, Dear Dish!

My first job involved working with and selling cinnamon buns. After I screwed up scheduling one week, I was demoted to icing maker (one rung above dough maker.) (Maybe. I might be lying to myself.)

Anyway, so I was tasked with making 16 litres of cinnamon bun icing. This involves putting cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla into a huge mixer. Well, I wasn't paying attention and measuring carefully when I put the vanilla in. Consequently, my icing didn't quite turn out a pristine white. This is what $5.90 an hour produces: Off-white, slightly yellow icing.

So my supervisor (a questionable person), says, "Did you put too much vanilla in?" And I said, "No." And with a straight face too. Shortly thereafter I left the job.

So my question for you Dish isn't what are the moral implications about lying about the vanilla in the icing. My question is: What was your first job, Dish? How did it go?

Sincerely,

Someone Inspired Towards Higher Education

Dear Inspired:

Please do not do anything rash. One must NEVER discount any food that can be used as a vehicle for cream cheese icing. Do not let one bad experience tarnish years of eating enjoyment.

Dish’s first job (aside from baby-sitting some neighbourhood kids who had a pet ferret that they found on the street and that they had to keep locked up so it wouldn't eat their kittens) was folding laundry at a small motel owned by a very nice couple. My older sister got me the job. I started out low and moved up the ranks to actual room cleaning. I stayed at it for 5 years (summer of grade 7 to summer of grade 11). Aside from the crappy nature of the work, it was actually a pretty sweet deal. I usually only worked from 8:30 or 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 or 2:00 p.m. (3:00-4:00 on the busy days). Lunch was provided, often in the form of a western sandwich.

The beauty of the first job is not learning the skills that actually apply to the job. It is all the other less obvious things that you pick up. I will now impart to you some of the key life life lessons that I learned from my first job so that you may also benefit. I learned that:

  • Members of motorcycle gangs are good to the little people. They always left more than generous tips, whereas most people never think to even leave a tip for the person who cleans their room at a hotel.
  • People are dirty and disgusting creatures by nature.
  • The phrase "I’ll fix your little red wagon" exists and is extremely useful in a variety of situations.
  • It is essential to know the difference between processed and real ham.
  • The mini Ritz crackers with the cheese included are the most nasty tasting things around.
  • You can eat yogurt after its expiration date without dying a horrible death.
  • Generally speaking the girls do NOT in fact come with the room.

May these words of wisdom help you in your life's journey as much as they helped me.

Dish

1 Comments:

At October 24, 2007 9:45 AM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

heh heh.

Biker gangs always get such a bad wrap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home