u The Main Dish: Dear Dish on Livin' on a Prayer

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Dear Dish on Livin' on a Prayer

Dear Dish:

So I am an avid musician. I own a guitar which I adore and I think it will bring me somewhere someday. I mean it. I am pretty good. My girlfriend adores the guitar and she adores me. Thing is, work has been pretty lacking lately since her and I moved to Halifax. I work on the docks right now and she is looking for work right now. All she has right now is working at the Lower Deck as a bartender. My guitar playing has been bringing in some money for some time now, but it's just not enough. But there's a gentleman who is interested in it and if I sold it, it could help us pay the rent for three months! I'm just scared that my inner voice won't have the opportunity to speak if I get rid of it. What should I do?

Anonymous

Dear Anonymous:

I know a couple who were in exactly your situation. Let’s call them Tommy and Gina. Tommy used to work on the docks but the union’s been on strike and he got down on his luck. It was tough. As for Gina, she worked the diner all day. Working for her man, she’d bring home her pay for love. The advice they were given and what I think you need to keep in mind here is to hold on to what you’ve got. It doesn’t make a difference if you make it or not. You’ve got each other and that’s a lot. For love, give it a shot.

I think you should try doing what Tommy did. He put his six-string in hock. That way, it’s not a permanent loss of your guitar. When you get back on your feet again, you can always go get it back. In the meantime, I am sure you can find other ways to express your inner voice. For example, did you know that Rogers On Demand now has free karaoke? There is even a Classic Rock category. You should definitely give that a try.

Don't worry. These things have a way of working themselves out.

Dish

Note: Click here to revisit the Livin' On a Prayer lyric analysis.

4 Comments:

At October 11, 2007 10:26 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

What if someone buys his guitar in the meantime?!

 
At October 11, 2007 11:58 AM, Blogger Matt said...

So your advice is to sell your dreams?

 
At October 11, 2007 2:11 PM, Blogger Dish said...

Well, first of all, the way a pawn shop works is that you have a certain period of time within which to repay that loan. So, "Tommy" just has to find a job by then.

Second, if he doesn't think that will happen then it comes down to a choice. Guitars are a dime a dozen. Girls like "Gina" don`t come along every day!

Third, I am not telling anyone to sell their dreams. I am just saying you have to be practical and realistic about such things. Besides, I provided an alternative outlet for his creativity! What more do you want?! ;o)

 
At October 11, 2007 5:51 PM, Blogger Matt said...

According to his letter he is not choosing either his guitar or Gina, as it states "My girlfriend adores the guitar and she adores me."

If anything abandoning the guitar sounds like it would strike a blow to the relationship. It sounds like you are trying to imply that he has to choose between the guitar or "Gina", where the letter sounds like his choices are closer to "Guitar and Gina" or "No Guitar and No Gina"

Also I disagree with the "guitars are a dime a dozen", in his letter
"I own a guitar which I adore and I think it will bring me somewhere someday.", I would take that as having an almost emotional attachment to his guitar.

I also assume the pawn shop would buy the guitar at a meager 1 weeks salary, and sell it back at 4 weeks salary. Where as the gentleman that is interested in it would pay 3 weeks salary. Selling the guitar will only hurt him in the long run if he really desires to get this guitar back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home