u The Main Dish: Out of the Loop

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Out of the Loop

Well, day one of the new job is complete and already I am feeling way out of the loop. I am in for two weeks of orientation, which means I am in a training room sans computer. How can I dish when I am cut off from technology??!! What is the point of creating comment-inducing blog entries when I can’t participate in the madness and mockery that ensues? It is all very tragic.

As for the new job...well, so far so stressful. I am in training with a group of about 20 people. The entire class (besides me) is Francophone. Over half the class went to translation school together at Laval and are all the best of friends. Most likely it will just take me some time to get into it, but so far I am finding the whole situation very intimidating.


I understand French. I speak French, but I don’t feel like I am at the point where I can give a true reflection of myself in French. I tend to be on the quiet side in situations where I don’t know anyone, but this is even worse! By the time I am able to gather my thoughts in French, the conversation has moved on and the moment has passed.

Also, it is a lot of work to listen in French all day. In English, I can listen, read a magazine, doodle, whatever all at the same time. However, I am not in complete-French-thinking-mode yet. That means I spent the whole day listing intently for fear that I would miss something important. When I tune out in English, at least I have the ability to half listen and catch important points. If I tune out in French, I am just gone.

Anyway, on the brighter side, I am sure that this will be easier with time and that in the end it will all be good for me. I mean really, the reason why I moved to Ottawa in the first place was to improve my French and so far so nothing. I need this. I just don’t understand why all this self-improvement business always has to require so much work and effort!

7 Comments:

At February 07, 2006 8:59 AM, Blogger James said...

Damn effort and work. What's up with that?

 
At February 07, 2006 11:35 AM, Blogger Ferda said...

I totally hear you on the French thing. I have French class Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The one on Wednesdays is for 3 hours. I swear I feel like my brain kerploded after every class.

 
At February 07, 2006 3:45 PM, Blogger Palmer said...

Hang in there kiddo. It will be fine once you actually get into doing some real work! It's always tough going into a new setting! I have faith in the Dish!

 
At February 07, 2006 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is not always about you! Have you not thought about how this absence from technology has been affecting ME? I have been without my email buddy for TWO DAYS! This is just unacceptable. I have no one to complain to, I have no one to appreciate my witty little jokes, and most importanly, I have no one to mock!

This entire situation is just not working out with me. I suggest you tell these people that you need a computer with you at all times.

On a more serious note, I'm sure everything will work out. It's just the stress of starting a new job. (And don't for a second think that these people are making fun of you behind your back, because that is simply not true.)

Still love me?

 
At February 07, 2006 7:03 PM, Blogger Dish said...

Thanks to everyone for the well wishing...except for elmira. I am cutting you off. :P

 
At February 07, 2006 9:09 PM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

I won't lie to you, Patricia. Things have fallen apart since you left. Ryan took a four hour coffee break this morning...and small puppies are walking the aisles crying. And myself, I walked straight into a cubicle wall. @#$#@ !

 
At February 08, 2006 8:47 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

That four hour coffee break was otherwise known as a french language test!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home