u The Main Dish: Pasta Fiasco 2006

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Monday, January 30, 2006

Pasta Fiasco 2006

So lately I have decided that I really need to start doing more meal planning and making actual supper instead of resorting to fast food (as I shake my fist at the MacDonald's way too convieniently located 1/2 a block from my apartment) or Kraft dinner.

So, Saturday, I do my big trip to the grocery store and stock up on all the items I need to make this pasta recipe I found. "I'll just whip this up on Sunday afternoon," I think. Easy as pie. Or so I think. The first sign that things were going wrong was the huge amount of spinach required. It took me about half an hour to tear all the stems off.

Hours after starting, I was still in the kitchen, now with a ginormous bowl of sauce (like I am talking the bowl that I usually make bread it). I had enough to feed an army! And nowhere to put any of it. My freezer is full to capacity. Why? Because of other cooking fiascos much like this one. I get the urge to cook. I make outrageous amounts of food. I am just one small person, so I don't even make a dent in it. I put it all in the freezer and never touch it again until I go on another cooking spree and I have to throw out the old food to make room for the new food and the cycle continues. This time, I was smart. No storage for me. I brought a huge tub of sauce over to my sisters. Let her deal with it!

Anyway, in the end, the food tasted ok. It was more just the feeling of helplessness I felt when looking at a 20 L tub of pasta sauce! Lesson learned. Next time half the recipe. Or just go to MacD's. And by the way...I don't want to hear any "woman in the kitchen where she belongs and so much for feminism" jokes -- it would be way to obvious.

8 Comments:

At January 30, 2006 11:34 AM, Blogger Ferda said...

love the disclaimer but I doubt it'll stop the macho men who frequent this blog. I won't name any names they know who they are ;-)

 
At January 30, 2006 11:40 AM, Blogger Dish said...

Don't be trash talking about my kitchen fiascos Mr. Pina Colada...

Macho men? Who? Where? ;o)

 
At January 30, 2006 11:58 AM, Blogger Matt said...

I volunteer to eat some of your leftover freezer food on Thursdays.

No point in letting it go bad. (or me cooking for that matter)

 
At January 30, 2006 12:19 PM, Blogger Palmer said...

I am also up for eating leftovers of yours ANYTIME you wish to bring me some to work.

 
At January 30, 2006 2:13 PM, Blogger Dish said...

At this rate I am going to end up having dinner and movie nite. eesh!

 
At January 30, 2006 3:48 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Nice, I expect to see that 20 L tub of pasta sauce on Thursday.

 
At January 30, 2006 4:16 PM, Blogger Palmer said...

Yeah no kidding. At the very least, we are helping you not worry about such things anymore.

 
At January 31, 2006 10:05 AM, Blogger Dish said...

You guys are always looking out for me. What would I do without you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home