u The Main Dish: Adventures on the High Sea (aka the St. Lawrence River)

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Monday, July 31, 2006

Adventures on the High Sea (aka the St. Lawrence River)

This weekend, as a belated birthday gift, I went on a boat tour of the Thousand Islands. We started out from Rockport and sailed (boated? there was no sail, does that matter?) to Heart Island, home of Boldt Castle.

This was a pretty fun excursion, although I must say, I was a bit wary of the boat we were on. Joe warned me back in May, when the original trip was supposed to take place, which boats were safe and which were not. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember. Anyway, when we bought our tickets, they didn't tell us which boat we would be on. We only found out when we got down to the dock.

I was pretty sure the boat we were getting on had been deemed unsafe by our coast guarding friend. I definitely remembered the name and since I couldn't remember whether I remembered it for good or for evil, I assumed that the boat we were on was the next titanic. This resulted in me thinking quietly to myself many times over "We're all going to die!" (ok. so maybe it was said loudly enough so that the friends who were with me could hear me....or possibly loud enough so that many of the people around me could hear...but I digress...)

I just think that it was more than a little suspicious that the guy who appeared to be heading up this whole operation was never without his life jacket for a second. The rest of us suckers only got to have one if an emergency arose. In the end, there were no unfortunate incidents and we made it there and back quite safely, although I did spend the better part of the voyage assessing how far it was to the nearest island and whether or not I thought my swimming abilities could get me there. ;o)

It's also possible that I wasn't as cool and collected about the potential ship wreck experience as I thought, since last night I dreamt that I was on a boat and it was sinking. I couldn't find one of my sneakers (it was like a party situation where there are shoes everywhere and you can never manage to find yours in the big pile) and I didn't want to leave without two shoes. Also, everyone else was wearing jackets and all I had was a t-shirt. I had to run back and rifle through my luggage to find a sweater and the only sweater I could find was really ugly and didn't match with my leg warmers (???). My brother, Geoffrey (again ??? - and even stranger that somehow I knew it was Geoffrey spelled with a G and not J) kept telling me to hurry up or I would be left behind. Analyses into my psychological problems more than welcome for any dream interpreters out there. But now, back to the story at hand...

Strangely enough, if you want to set foot on Boldt Island you do require your passport or a birth certificate and other government-issued picture i.d. They make you go through this sham of a "customs" office when you arrive. Welcome terrorists to Boldt Island. I mean really? And then another Canadian customs official checks you out as you get off the boat back in Rockport. I wondered about anyone daring to bring a picnic lunch and wondered if their fruit and meat products would be seized upon entering the U.S. In the end, I thought it best not to ask such questions. You don't really want to anger the customs official and get detained on Heart Island. Not much to do there and all the food is overpriced. Really though, that guy must have the slackest customs job known to (wo)man.

The castle itself is quite spectacular on the outside, although the interior is still very much under renovation. As the story goes, "Boldt Castle offers a glimpse into one of the most compelling love stories in history. An eternal monument to the memory of a man's love for his wife. In 1904 construction was well underway on the 120 room castle when tragedy struck. A telegram announcing the death of George C. Boldt's wife arrived...three hundred artisans and craftsmen were commanded to "stop all construction." A broken hearted Boldt never returned to the island."

The most compelling love story in history? Hmmm...not finding it all that compelling, I would beg to differ on that one. Although, honestly, I really can't think of any historical love stories at all, let alone compelling ones. Perhaps Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett Browning? As far as love stories go, the Princess Bride is very compelling, but alas it is fictional. Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Anyway, all in all the trip was quite successful. I managed to get in some (hopefully) good pictures..I especially like the theory behind the one of me standing on the balcony of the castle, leaning against the railing and looking mournful as though my lover is lost at sea (now even that is more compelling, and I just made it up right now. Sheesh).

A good time was had by all and it was quite an adventure going abroad for a few hours. :o)

4 Comments:

At August 01, 2006 10:06 AM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

You have a brother named Geoffrey? AND you know how to spell his name with a 'G' and not a 'J'? Wow.

 
At August 01, 2006 11:20 AM, Blogger Rienne said...

I'm racking my brain for a "compelling" love story and all I can come up with are fictional ones. Romeo and Juliet, Rhett and Scarlett, Buffy and Angel....

Ooh! Oooh! Cleopatra and Mark Antony? They were on opposite sides of a war...

 
At August 09, 2006 6:49 PM, Blogger iBenoit said...

Miss ya Trish!

 
At August 15, 2006 11:03 PM, Blogger Dish said...

Aww artoo, you're so sweet. :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home