u The Main Dish: Lakes Suce le Pamplemousse

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Lakes Suce le Pamplemousse

So, since the temperature on Monday was so brutally hot and it was humid and disgusting and smoggy and everything I hate about Ottawa summers, I decided it would be a nice treat to do a post-work beach visit.

So, off I go, towel in hand, to Petrie Island to get some swimming in. Just after I had totally submersed myself in the water, the little lifeguard chick gets on her megaphone announcing that the beach is closing for the day and you are swimming at your own risk because there will no longer be a lifeguard. That's fine. Then she goes on to add, "There is a no-swim advisory because of high levels of E. coli. You are swimming at your own risk." What?! GAH!

So, after two minutes in the water, back I go to shore. I have heard enough of the evils of E. coli to know that it is not something I want to mess around with. Horribly abdominal cramps, blood from places it should not come from and total kidney failure just being some of the possible symptoms. Even if you didn't get sick. Think about it. Where does E. coli come from? Feces. That's right. You are swimming in.. well, you get the point.

But, the horror does not stop there. Then I find out that the lakes in Gatineau Park are "itchy lakes." What exactly does this mean? Oh, that there is a high concentration of some parasite that comes from duck feces. It can get under your skin and cause itchy welts that can last up to a week! See more info here.

I am sorry, but all I have to say about this is EWWWWWWWWWW!

I've said it once (or maybe much more than that). The ocean is the only way to go beachwise. This new info just makes me want to go home that much more. :o(

4 Comments:

At July 20, 2006 9:37 AM, Blogger James said...

yuck.

 
At July 20, 2006 10:09 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

Swimmer's itch is common. All you have to do is take a shower after swimming in it. Big deal.

 
At July 20, 2006 7:27 PM, Blogger Rienne said...

I've had the Itch. It's no big deal. You take lots of baths in Baking Soda and then you have lots of fun stories to tell when you're older. I'm a better person for it.

 
At July 20, 2006 10:46 PM, Blogger Dish said...

Baking soda? Sounds like you were sprayed by a skunk. At least you can swim around jelly fish. Trickier to swim around parasites or E.coli!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home