u The Main Dish: The Trials of MD - Part Deux

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Trials of MD - Part Deux

I would like to continue the rant about doctors that was started in Palmer's World. Since I am also not a native to Ottawa, I also do not have a family doctor. Recently, due to health problems, I have started to pay a bit more attention to the situation.

There is a Web site that provides a list of doctors who are taking new patients in the Ottawa area. Apparently there are currently on three doctors in all of Ottawa who are willing to take new patients. Half the time when you call the names on the list, it turns out they aren't even taking new patients, the list just hasn't been updated.

Well, as a last resort, I have been going to the Appletree Medical Clinic. In an effort to avoid sitting in the waiting room for hours on end to see a doctor, I decided that I would just make an appointment for a physical and find out what was wrong with me that way. You can only make appointments for certain things (physicals, allergy testing, foot care, etc.). Anyway, my plan was totally foiled because then they told me that in order to make an appointment for a physical I had to come in and meet the doctor first, but they wouldn't give me an appointment for that. I just had to come to the clinic during her office hours and wait my turn like the rest of the suckers.

So, I go to the clinic. I wait for 1.5 hours. I saw the doctor for about 5 minutes or less. During this time, she gave me a placebo (in my opinion), made me sign a form saying that she was my family doctor otherwise she wouldn't do the physical and sent me on my way.

Since my placebo is not doing me any good, I made an appointment for a physical right away. The clinic called me the day of the appointment (about 3 days later) to cancel my appointment and to tell me that they can't fit me in for another month.

So, back to square one. If I want help now, I have to waste more time sitting in the stupid clinic. Or, I can suffer it out for a month in hopes that the doctor will give me something better the next time. What I can't understand is why I have to sign a form saying that this particular doctor is my doctor and then I can't even make an appointment to see her when I am sick. What is the point? Why have a family doctor at all?!!!

And now, because they suckered me into signing the form, because I was feeling miserable and desperate, even if I do find another doctor who takes appointments, I can't register to have him or her as my doctor for at least six months! AARGH!

What kind of shoddy health care system is this??!!

Also, I am very annoyed that I can never seem to add pictures to my posts anymore. It never works. Bah.

3 Comments:

At July 07, 2006 4:38 PM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

It's unfair. It's like, you can go without a doctor, but when you need one, you really really want one. Espcially one that actually knows who you are.

Perhaps you can be comforted that most family doctors will probably keep you waiting an hour or so too even with an appointment. and then they'll send in a student doctor to do most of the consultation...not even an official doctor yet. WHY would you be late when a student freakin' doctor is seeing most of your patients. At least mine does in Edmonton. Maybe I exagerate, only 45 minutes. I will admit, this is less than waiting hours in a clinic though.

Sigh. I feel your pain. Probably only on a lesser level since I'm not literally in need of a family doctor at the moment...but...sigh.

 
At July 07, 2006 5:23 PM, Blogger Dish said...

Yes, but if i was in the remote great white north, then I would expect to have trouble finding health care. I am in the nation's capital! There's no excuse for this!

 
At July 07, 2006 8:57 PM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

Your tax dollars at work. They've cut from health care to pour money into translating within the federal public service.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home