u The Main Dish: End of Vacation Rage

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

End of Vacation Rage

Ok. So I promise I will give try to give a rundown of my vacation at a later date for any of you who might happen to be interested, but I just had to vent some rage for now.

Today's target is Air Canada. I get off the plane in Ottawa this morning. Does my luggage come along with me? No. That would be too much to ask. So, I go to the baggage claim and ask them about where my bag could possibly be. The agent at the desk tells me that my best bet is to wait for the next flight, which is supposed to be in in 20 minutes. He says he can practically guarantee that my suitcase will be on it. He also says that they have a backlog of about 200 lost suitcases because of increased security measures and it would really be in my best interest to stick around and see if it arrives. So I wait. And wait. I am at the airport an extra hour waiting for the luggage to be taken of said flight. Does my suitcase arrive? Not a chance.

I then go back to the baggage claim and file my official "you lost my luggage report". The agent tells me that they will call me "sometime". So, basically, my last day of vacation is squandered sitting around my apartment waiting and hoping for a call from Air Canada (this is one of those situations where you really wish you had a cell phone).

On your claim, they give you a web site where you can supposedly check the status of your missing luggage. According to this web site, my claim/luggage does not exist. So, later that afternoon, I call Air Canada. They tell me that they "think they may have located" my bag in Toronto. What the heck? Did I go anywhere near Toronto? No. So what is my bag doing there? Sheesh. With this kind of sketchy operation, I am thinking I will be lucky if I ever see my stuff again.

Finally, they call me back at about 5 p.m. to tell me that they will come with my bags sometime between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. So the last evening of my vacation goes down the tubes as well.

Just after 7 p.m. the buzzer rings downstairs. I let the guy in. He drops off my bag, with a distinct lack of friendliness, no apologies whatsoever for the fact that my luggage is so late in arriving, and complaints about the lack of elevator in my building. Yes. I realize that this is a pain in the arse, but if someone as wimpy as me can carry the suitcase up and down those stairs, then surely someone who is paid to lug heavy things around should be able to manage it.

He asks me to sign for my bag, which I do. Then, just as I am turning around to head back into my apartment and he is heading down the stairs, I hear him yell (loudly enough that probably most people living on the floor heard him), "Thanks for the tip, b*tch." :O

Well! I never! Can you believe it?!! If they had not lost my freaking luggage in the first place, I would have taken it home myself and carried it up the stairs myself and he would not have had to bring it to me. As it stands, it was the least they could do. They basically left me on standby waiting for their call for en entire day and then the staff expects me to reward them monetarily for inconveniencing me?!!!

Then, as though that was not bad enough, I open my suitcase to discover that my stuff has been totally rifled through and that they have somehow managed to basically destroy the suitcase itself. There are huge chunks of plastic that they have somehow managed to break off around the edge of the suitcase (through the material!).

I am totally lodging a complaint. Hmmph.

Also, I also just have to complain about the fact that my favorite lipgloss was confiscated because I forgot to take it out of my carry on and put it in my checked luggage. Booo...

10 Comments:

At August 16, 2006 12:09 AM, Blogger Matt said...

That's horrible.

In your complaint letter I would downplay the lipgloss and instead focus on your rifled through luggage/destroyed luggage, and after going through the whole ordeal the man who delivered your luggage calling you a bi**h for not tipping him for the amazing service / luggage experience.

 
At August 16, 2006 10:05 AM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

That sucks. And it's suspicious that they rifled through your suitcase...was any of your underwear stolen?

 
At August 16, 2006 10:06 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

I think you should take the angle that you were unaware that you would be called a bitch if you didn't tip and that the Air Canada staff should let you know when they phone you.

 
At August 16, 2006 10:16 AM, Blogger James said...

way to go, Air Canada. You should also write a letter to the editor of the citizen. Or basically just point them in the direction of this blog post.

 
At August 17, 2006 1:00 AM, Blogger iBenoit said...

I say write a letter. Get the foul mouth delivery guy!

 
At August 17, 2006 9:43 AM, Blogger Rienne said...

I'll join the chorus of "WRITE A LETTER". I would send it to Air Canada and the newspapers. For a delivery guy to say that to you after they screwed up...that's inexcusable. Even with the terrorist issues going on...that's still beyond rude. He should have delivered the suitcase without comment.

I'm not OVERLY surprised that they rifled through your suitcase (they were doing that alot in other cities) but did they think that a terrorist was going to go through PEI? But the damaged suitcase is a little out of the ordinary.

 
At August 17, 2006 9:47 AM, Blogger Rienne said...

I was just thinking about what I wrote "did they think a terrorist was going to go through PEI?"

Yes. A terrorist might be thinking, "Hmmm...before I blow up a plane or the parliment buildings in Ottawa, I think I'll stop by PEI and see the Anne of Green Gables house. THEN, I'll go cause mass mayhem."

The whole thought cracked me up. I have too many thoughts.

 
At August 17, 2006 2:24 PM, Blogger James said...

lol

 
At August 21, 2006 12:50 PM, Blogger Ferda said...

what a nightmare! Glad you're back safe and sound. Now get to writing that letter!

 
At August 22, 2006 2:48 PM, Blogger Pollcrazy said...

We want an update! did you write the letter? Did you call? The masses want to know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home