u The Main Dish: Take Me Out to the Ball Game

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Ok. So any of my faithful readers know that that is not a sentence you would generally ever hear me utter in any sort of serious way. But, Lynx stadium is exactly where I found myself last week. Why? 1) Katey’s birthday 2) $2 concession night.

For a mere $11 entry fee to the ball game (and those were the good seats), you can gorge yourself on as many $2 concessions as you like. Please note: The nachos are not included in the list of $2 concessions. Also please note: If you are only there for the hotdogs, you would be better of going on 25-cent hotdog night. Yes. You heard me right. 25-cent hotdog night. Ryan, get your thermos ready

Anyway, despite the fact that I barely watched any of the game, I had a fabulous time taking pictures, gorging, and mocking the mangy mascot

The night started off beautifully with a Jumbo Hotdog. (We all know how I feel about big things.)

That was followed up by the Giant Popcorn, which was so salty it burned the skin right off the roof of my mouth

The grand finale was the Extra Large Cotton Candy. I happily munched on the cotton candy shared with me by Gwen. Because of the salty popcorn, I couldn’t even taste the sweetness of the cotton candy: a very dangerous situation indeed. Then Lesley and Eric got a bag too but didn’t really want it. Eric kept trying to pawn it off on people. I, being the junk food junky that I am, was the only one still eating any of it. This led him to the brilliant idea of making a cotton candy wager. First, he offered me $100 to eat the rest of the bag of cotton candy before the game ended. It was almost the end of the ninth inning. When it seemed I was willing to accept, he then back-tracked his bet and changed it to “all the money in my pocket”. Fine. I still like a challenge. Especially one related to junk food. I’m no hotdog eating contest champion, but I can generally hold my own.

And so it began. There was a lot of cotton candy and keep in mind that this was not my first treat of the evening. It started off quick paced. My fingers and face were sticky, but I persevered. My liver screamed in protest, but still I kept eating. Luckily, fate was on my side and an extra two innings were added to the game, giving me more time to finish. A helpful hint when engaged in a cotton candy showdown: Water is your friend. One sip of water and a huge quantity of cotton candy will dissolve instantly. It helps conserve saliva.


In the end, I came out victorious. I was $4.25 richer and I had not fallen into a diabetic coma. Eric, on the other hand, was not faring so well. First, he had lost a bet he never thought he would lose. Second, apparently his girlfriend, who had recently been injured in a bike accident, was expecting to be wooed with a filet-o-fish from McDonald’s using that $4.25. So, not only did he have to deal with the shame of losing, he also had to explain why the McDonald’s funding had been squandered.

Meanwhile, I was riding (sugar)high thinking about how to spend my $4.25 in winnings. And, I still had all of my teeth! What more could a girl ask for? It was a fantastic ending to an exciting night at the ball park.

1 Comments:

At August 24, 2007 12:08 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

THIS is an amazing story! I am loving it and am jealous of missing out.

I have never been to a Lynx Stadium game. Will you bring me to the next 25 cent hot dog night?

Honestly here...we'd be stupid not to bring the thermos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home