u The Main Dish: Stronger Toilets Needed

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Stronger Toilets Needed

I was listening to the radio on the way home from work this afternoon and heard an interesting bit of news. Apparently toilets in Australia need to be strengthened to account for rising obesity rates. Although, what is interesting is that according to current standards, toilets only have to be designed to hold 45 kg of weight. Isn't 45 kg only about equivalent to 100 lbs or so? I am not arguing with the fact that the obesity rates in Australia may be rising, but were the original toilet standards designed with pygmies or elves in mind? I mean come on. A large portion of the population has to be above 100 lbs even if they are not obese! sheesh. Just something to keep in mind if anyone is planning to go to Australia before they implement the new standards...sit very carefully!

In other strange toilet news, Rachel told me once that while she was working at the Toronto Public Library someone came in and stole their industrial toilet seat (the big black ones). No one who works there has any idea how someone managed to get out of the library past the front desk carrying the thing. I mean come on. Those things are pretty ginormous. A new restaurant opened nearby shortly after and they suspect the owners were just too cheap to buy their own toilet seat. Eww. I can't even imagine touching a public toilet enough to remove the seat. Nasty!

This talk of toilets actually reminds me of my traumatizing street bathroom experience the first time I was in Paris. Too bad my wrists and eyes are burning like mad (negative side effect of sitting and typing all day long with no breaks) or I would tell you all about it. If you really want to know, just ask me :o)

3 Comments:

At March 08, 2006 10:52 AM, Blogger Ferda said...

45 kgs??? That's like nothing!! I'll just have to cancel that trip to Australia as I don't think I can bear the embarrassment if I did crush a toilet!

 
At March 08, 2006 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

meah! Holy moly! I am only 32kgs! I can handle the toilets! NOT! That is outrageous!

 
At March 08, 2006 1:49 PM, Blogger Palmer said...

At lunch today we discussed this and I have a theory. You may debunk it if you wish.

Technically, not all of your weight is on the toilet seat. Only your upper body and your ass are. Your legs are just in front of the actual seat.

So...maybe that accounts for the 100lbs? But I bet if you lifted your legs into the air, the toilet would break because it's handling all that extra weight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home