u The Main Dish: Book Review: The Hiding Place

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Book Review: The Hiding Place

I kept hearing about this book over and over from different people and so finally I decided that I was just going to read it for myself. This is the true story of Corrie Ten Boom, who was a leader in the Dutch Underground during World War II. It tells about how she and her family helped many Jewish people by hiding them from Nazi invaders. Eventually she was arrested and spent many years in a number of different concentration camps. She tells how she found meaning in life and learned to overcome hatred in spite of the horrors she was facing.

This book has a strong focus on God and overcoming trials through faith, but is also just an interesting story of how one family dealt with the hardship that came with war. It was a very quick read - finished it in one evening.

Apparently, they have now actually made the house where the Ten Boom's lived during the war into a museum in Haarlem, Holland and the book was also made into a movie at one point.

Warning: Do not read this book in conjunction with drugs. Little did I know that Advil Cold and Flu has some kind of stimulant in it (knowledge provided courtesy of my friendly neighbourhood pharmacist/sister), so I took two before I went to bed last nite. Needless to say, I tossed and turned and the sleep I did get was full of nightmares about concentration camps. I am sticking to whimsical and imaginative literature from now on!

2 Comments:

At May 31, 2006 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to hide in my cubical, does this book pertain to any cube hiding or skills for successful office slumber.

I'd say sleep in my cube but these GOC charis aren't worthy...

 
At May 31, 2006 6:04 PM, Blogger Dish said...

No, I'm afraid not. Maybe you could try hiding in the bottom drawer of your filing cabinet. Just don't use the top one cause then the cabinet could fall over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home