u The Main Dish: My Summer Vacation by Dish (Part 1)

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My Summer Vacation by Dish (Part 1)

I am going to begin this post by apologizing to those friends that I intended to see while I was home on PEI but for some reason or another did not get a chance to visit. I was only home for just over a week and the time flew by like crazy. Part of this, I attribute to the fact that Stephanie was home and I barely ever get to see her (usually only at Christmas) and to the fact that I also spent part of the time travelling to Halifax.

All in all, the vacation was a good one. I must say, I feared the worst when I got in the airport shuttle and some crazy guy with dreadlocks was driving like a maniac, muttering to himself and playing "Informer" by Snow very loudy. Yes. You did hear that right. I am talking about the one that goes "the infoooormer, bla bla bla blah blah boom boom something or other". Very painful.

So, despite the lateness of the shuttle and the craziness of the driver, I manage to arrive at the airport on time and in one piece. On the flight from Ottawa to Montreal, I get seated beside some military boy who is from Newfoundland but stationed in Petawawa. He talks basically the whole trip telling me all about his life. From the fact that he joined the military about six months out of high school and has been in it for about a year and a half, I put him at approximately age 20 or 21 max. He is telling me all sorts of stories designed to impress, one of which involves him getting very drunk and "some woman who's like 30 (insert tone of voice that includes shock and horror here) tried to take me home." Oooh. It was like a knife to the heart. And then I just didn't have it in me (or possibly I just didn't want to embarass myself) to tell him after that that he was chatting with someone "who's like 30." Anyway, I thought he would go his own way once we got to the airport, but the "beauty" of the Montreal airport is that all the martime flights go from this one small, sketchy corner of the airport. So, he said beside me and regaled me with yet more stories. He even waited for me outside of the bathroom to make sure that I knew my flight was delayed. He didn't leave my side until they called his name over the loudspeaker as last call for him to get on his flight. Too funny.

The flight from Montreal to PEI was next to another chatterbox but this guy was a sea captain and had all sorts of interesting stories about the places he had been and about the dirty sailers he works with. Plus, he only has to work 6 weeks on, 6 weeks off. SWEET!

Anyhoo, on to the rest of the trip. Unfortunately, there was an unseasonal cold front while I was home, so I didn't get as much beach time in as I would have liked. One day, I insisted on going to the beach and dragging Jen and Rachel with me. It was nice out, but seemed slightly windy. The closer we got to the beach, the less sunny it got. Rachel and Jen were sitting there with their towels wrapped around them to keep warm. I was still undetterred and thought I might still be able to get some swimming in. I kicked off my flipflops and then they started to blow away down the beach. Apparently that was my sign to give it up and go home.

I am trying to attach a picture but it is not working. (Techie friends, please help. Why won't it work? Is it possible I have no space left for pictures? How can i find out?) Anyway, it was taken on the last day I was home. You can just barely see Marion and I as we are swimming toward the raft. It wasn't as windy as the day the hurricane tried to steal my shoes, but still pretty windy. Rachel's cottage (where the picture is taken) is on the south shore of the Island and in a cove, so it is rarely wavy there. On this day, there were actually white caps. Anyway, it was Steph's first day at the beach and she insisted on swimming even though we were freezing just sitting on the shore. Not to be out done, Marion and I soon joined her. Rachel wimped out and stayed on land. It was all worth it. As per the famous Island saying "it's fine once you get in". What an Islander will never tell you is that you are going to freeze your arse off getting in and it is going to be even colder when you get out!

Anyway, I am going to leave off there for tonight. It is past my bedtime and my eyes are horrifically sore as I spent the entire evening proofreading a Costco catalogue. Interesting, yet tiring to do after a full day at work. Part 2 is hopefully coming your way tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home