u The Main Dish: Dear Dish on Feminism

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Dear Dish on Feminism

Dear Dish:

Can you both be a feminist and shave too? If I stop shaving my legs, do I automatically become a feminist?

Can I still say things like, "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl," and "Thinking too much gives you wrinkles?" Can I still believe that they should teach shopping at school and emphasize the importance of baking cookies for the boys?

What are your opinions on this difficult and complex topic?

Sincerely,
A New Wave Feminist


Dear New Wave:

If you stop shaving your legs, the only thing that you are automatically going to become is hairier.

Contrary to popular belief, feminism is not about the body hair. Some people believe that if a woman shaves her legs or other parts of her body she is not truly a feminist because generally speaking men do not shave their body hair and thus she must not truly believe in equality and yadda yadda ya.

The point of feminism is not to make women exactly like men. That is never going to happen. Certain anatomical differences will always prevent this from ever being the case. The purpose of feminism is to promote equality and the freedom of choice. Shave or don’t shave. It’s your choice. It only becomes a feminist issue if you are making that choice because of pressure from a man or from society.

Although you are free to say the things you alluded to in the second part of your question if you so choose, generally speaking, feminists tend to frown upon this way of thinking. It actually goes against everything in which they believe. Now, this may come as a shock to you, but feminists and basically the majority of the general public (with the exception of some backward chauvinists) believe that as a group women are just as smart as men! In fact, if we subscribe to the theory of Mrs. Banks from Mary Poppins, feminists believe that as a group men are rather stupid (Read more about my thoughts about that here). Blaming your lack of desire to express an opinion on your gender merely serves to uphold the ideological structures of our patriarchal society and further oppress women.

As for you comment about thinking too much causing wrinkles, I suggest a good dose of The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf. Rush right out and read it right away. This book describes how the ideal standard of beauty (as decided by men) was set to higher and more unattainable levels as women began to break the chains of patriarchy, became involved in more than just the domestic sphere and gained more power. In reality, society's concept of beauty just disguises another method of oppression that causes women to spend more of their time and energy trying to achieve an unattainable ideal and less energy on achieving worthwhile goals. It describes how beauty is a patriarchal construct that leads women see each other as rivals and judge each other on looks rather than working together to end their oppression. (Can you tell that Dish once did an in-depth analysis of this book when she went to the chick school?)

As for the importance of baking cookies for the boys, Dish has nothing against baking cookies for boys who deserve them. In fact, she derives a lot of satisfaction from doing so, when the right boy is the one enjoying them. Don’t worry. I have learned my lesson. I am not going to attempt to renounce my feminist ways again. I am merely embracing the fact that feminism is about choice. And if I choose to bake cookies (or other delicious treats) for men, than so be it. Patriarchy has not pressured me into it. My love of sugar has. And that, my friends, is a completely different topic.

Dish

Side note: Given that the phrase "women are oppressed due to the overarching ideological structures of our patriarchal society" used to be one of my favourite ways to begin a rant back in my hard core feminist days at the Mount (there was even contemplation of a very large tattoo), I thought I would see how many times I have incorporated it into blog entries. Only four times (five if you count this one)! Disappointing. I guess I’ve mellowed since my time there. Maybe I need a refresher course… :o)

2 Comments:

At March 13, 2008 9:19 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

Or maybe you think your feminist phrases are futile...

 
At March 13, 2008 12:35 PM, Blogger Dish said...

Resistance is futile, not feminist phrases. Hasn't Star Trek taught you anything? ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home