u The Main Dish: Hurray for Childlessness

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Hurray for Childlessness

Marion and I were talking this evening about how it seems that we have no exited the phase where all of our friends are getting married and we have to go to 6 weddings per summer and have now entered the all new and equally exciting phase where all of our friends have children.

Now, some of us would be inclined to look at this situation and feel like we are being left behind or that it is so depressing that all of our friends have "grown up", while we still remain single and childless. Well, take a second look...

Apparently, researchers have discovered that adults with children are significantly more likely to report symptoms of depression than those without kids. Even when the kids grow up and move away from home, the rates of depression are still higher. In fact, they even go so far as to say that the mental health costs from having children outweigh the benefits. More info can be found here.

Those who know my feminist rants will assume that I am a hardened old spinster who will never marry or have children. This may or may not be the case. I am not heartily opposed to doing either when I finally get over my Peter Pan complex and decide to grow up. I am just saying that in the meantime it is nice to know that while all my friends from back home are moving on with their lives and having kids, I am enjoying a few extra years with a lot less depression. Suckas!

Keep in mind that this also provides good ammo for those smug-married friends who feel it is their duty to always ask you when you plan on getting married and having kids.

As always, just something to think about. ;o)


1 Comments:

At February 09, 2006 9:34 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

"I am not heartily opposed to doing either when I finally get over my Peter Pan complex and decide to grow up"

So what constitutes 'growing up' Dish?

I would think that you are already grown up. Face the facts! ;-)

What's my basis of being a grown up?

When you have a job for the rest of your life. And even if you change jobs, you still know that for the next 30 years, you will be working. No more nomadic life for the grown ups.

I've been a grown up ever since I was 23. I still like to party, I still talk about entertaining things (or really silly things...check out the blog!), I still like to go to Movie Nights...all in all, I'm a grown up, I'm having a good time.

Just because your friends are on a different track in life doesn't make them more grown up than you. ;-)

But, that's my views on being 'grown up'. Maybe you have the views that you're not entirely grown up until you own your own place, maybe a few dollars in an RRSP, have some equity, own an iPod...

So, let me ask you this (and I think you should devote an entire blog entry to it)

If you say that you're not over your Peter Pan complex, what events in your life, or in your way of thinking constitutes the transition from Peter Pan Life(PPL) to Grown Up Life (GUL)?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home