u The Main Dish: Happy International Women's Day!

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Happy International Women's Day!

International Women's Day was officially designated in 1977 by the UN to celebrate the progress made in advancing equal rights for women and to find ways to address the remaining challenges. It also commemorates the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, in which 146 women died because of unsafe working conditions. Some good did come out of the tragedy in that it advanced the causes of women's rights and labour laws.

On a total side note about working conditions, one of my co-workers told me today that her optometrist told her that translators have a high risk of losing their long range vision because they spend the entire day in front of a computer and looking things up in reference books, etc. Apparently, you over develop the eye muscles used for seeing things close up but lose your ability to see things at a distance. EEK! I mean, I already knew I would end up with carpal tunnel, but now I am going to lose my vision too? I suppose it doesn't help that I come home in the evening and catch up on email, write on my blog, watch tv or play Super Nintendo. All stuff that uses the short distance eye muscles. The optometrist's advice is to either go look out a window and focus on something in the distance or to close your eyes and pretend you are looking at the stars to prevent strain on your eyes. I tried this today and my eyes physically hurt. I guess I am in the process of going blind already. My eyes burn at the end of every day. The hazards of work...

Anyway, back to International Women's Day, I for one am quite happy to be a woman. I mean come on. Who wouldn't? As my friend David is fond of saying, "Men are like Kleenex - soft, strong and disposable." (Jen, please correct me if I don't have that quite right.) Really though, my top two favorite reasons for being a woman?

1) Feminist rants
2) Menions

I'll say no more on the topic. :o)

Vive la Journée internationale de la femme!

9 Comments:

At March 08, 2006 11:24 PM, Blogger Palmer said...

In the spirit of the day, I shall refrain from making any comments (other than this one).

 
At March 09, 2006 12:12 AM, Blogger Dish said...

Come on. We have a day cause we're tuff. What have you got to say?

 
At March 09, 2006 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually the quote is - men SHOULD be like kleenex etc.

 
At March 09, 2006 6:44 PM, Blogger AquariusDragon said...

Here's one: Men are like diapers... always on my @$$ and full of $h!t.

 
At March 10, 2006 12:16 AM, Blogger iBenoit said...

Is it me or is this lke a used record or something?

Evil Artoo

 
At March 10, 2006 9:29 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

Let's be honest here...rename the Blog. The Main Dish on Feminist Rants.

 
At March 12, 2006 6:17 PM, Blogger Palmer said...

Hahhaha...truer words have never been spoken.

Hey! What are we doing for your birthday big guy?!

 
At March 14, 2006 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At March 15, 2006 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home