u The Main Dish: Eating Tour of Montreal 2006 - Part I

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Eating Tour of Montreal 2006 - Part I

This weekend was a shop-and-eat-a-thon in good old Montréal. Caroline, Jennie and I left Ottawa on Friday morning. First, we hit H&M, which just opened out in the burbs not too long ago. The place was crazy, but we all managed to find something. My new fashion try this year - white capris/skirt. I have always hesitated about the white bottoms. It poses an underwear dilemma, as well as calls out for me to spill something on them and then spend the rest of the day embarassed bc my skirt has ketchup on it or something. Anyway, this year is the year to live on the edge. We'll see how it goes.

Lunch was downtown at Boulangerie Au Pain Doré on Peel. Real French baguette sandwiches with ham and emmental. Mmmm..delicious. Don't forget the pecan pie either. Also very tasty.

After lunch came more shopping. I wasn't too impressed with Simon's this season. I didn't buy a thing there, which is basically unheard of. Maybe it was just because it was so crowded. Seems we weren't the only ones with the idea of spending the weekend shopping. We stayed downtown for a bit and then did some big box outlets out by Caroline's parents place.

Made a short stop to get changed and then we headed back downtown to the St-Denis area for supper at Bistro Express. I had roast beef with fries...fries with mayo. How much better can it get? We also got our own jar of pickles at the table! The service was very good here and the food quite tasty.

After supper we went to some place that I can't remember the name of for dessert (Caroline, Jennie - can you help me out on this one?). I was done by this point having eaten about an entire basket of bread during supper. This place was kind of a pre-bar hang out. One thing that I hadn't really considered was the fact that you can still smoke in the bars in Quebec. It is brutal! I can't believe I used to do it all the time! My allergies started acting up after about two minutes inside. I swear everyone in the place was smoking. That aside, it was kind of a different and fun kind of place. It was a pub-like atmosphere only with dance music to get you pumped up for a night on the town.

We did not follow it up with a night on the town however. Instead, we went home and went to bed to prepare for another day of shopping.

Saturday, I was the driver. It wasn't so bad since I had Caroline in the passenger seat beside me telling me exactly where to go. I have to say though, I think I would be very intimidated to move to that city and have to drive myself around. I think I would spend a lot of time lost.

In the morning we went to Vieux-Montréal, down to the port and whatnot. Then more shopping and a late lunch at La Paryse, a fabulous and cheap burger place on Ontario Street. Delicious fries, shakes and sugar pie. I'd definitely head back there again.

More shopping and thus concluded the shop-and-eat-a-thon. We have been planning an eating tour of montreal for some time now. The main problem is that there are so many places to eat in the city and only so many meals you can eat in a day. This will definitely have to be a continuing venture.

All in all a very successful trip.

2 Comments:

At April 19, 2006 10:01 AM, Blogger Ferda said...

This sounds like so much fun. I'm trying to convince James that we should also go on a shopping trip to Montreal sometime.

 
At April 19, 2006 2:10 PM, Blogger Palmer said...

Who doesn't like shopping in Montreal?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home