u The Main Dish: See Ya Later Radiator

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

See Ya Later Radiator

It was brought to my attention that this weekend is the Richmond Fair. Now, normally, the lure of the midway is tempting, but not excessively so. My oldest sister always hated going to the "exhibition" with me when we were kids because I always used to feel sick if I went on too many rides. I can't tolerate things that spin too much. I'd agree to go on the Tea Cups with her only if she didn't spin it (ha ha! no wonder she didn't want me along!). Meanwhile, she had a stomach of steel and could run from "Spider" to "Gravitron" to "Tilt-a-Whirl" to "Scrambler" without any problem whatsoever.

I could and still can handle the non-spinny ones. I like a good roller coaster, for instance. And I always loved the Paratroupers and Ferris Wheel. Although, what is up with the new Ferris wheels that don't have the cars that rock back and forth? Probably too many children falling out or something. I remember one time I was on a double ferris wheel with the rocking cars wedged in between two teenage boys who thought it would be funny to make the thing rock while we were at the very top of the top wheel. EEP! As they are rocking it, I noted 2 things. 1) the whole ride was revolving on a VW tire 2) a large chunk of the ride came loose before my very eyes and fell to the ground. Basically, I had a hysterial meltdown (but quietly to myself so as not to appear uncool in front of said boys). After they let us off, they shut the ride down and it did not open again for the rest of the two weeks the midway was in town.

So, why on earth, you ask, would I want to go to the Richmond Fair, since the rides at these places always seem to be assembled by unreliable drunken carnies? Well, I'll tell you. Not only is there a midway (death-trap rides aside, the midway does have delicious candy apples and cotton candy), but there is also a DEMOLITION DERBY!

I have only ever seen demolition derbies in the movies (and in that Simpsons episode where Marge enters the demolition derby - "see ya later radiator"). I have never been to one in real life before, but I feel like it is definitely something I should get on board with. Apparently the usual weather for demolition derby night tends to be rain, but wouldn't you think that would make it better with all the mud and such?

Another even that may be of interest is the Celebrity Pig Racing (I am still questioning exactly where the celebrity bit comes in) as well as Ewe Racing. And the Ewe Racing happens in (direct quote from the web site here) the "Celebrity Pigs Ring". Too funny! The only thing that would make this better is if they had another race, "Pig vs. Ewe". Kind of like an Alien vs. Predator or Freddy vs. Jason scenario.

Let's just say, the Richmond Fair has definitely piqued my interest. Oh and that Simpsons ep. is Jaws Wired Shut. As with all Simpsons episodes, it has some funny quotes for anyone who wants to look into it more.

6 Comments:

At September 14, 2006 11:11 AM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

Quimby: And so, for helping to KO litter in our community, I hereby dedicate this statue of Drederick Tatum.

[the audience applauds]

Tatum: Litter is my most treacherous foe. I would like to eat its children.

 
At September 14, 2006 11:25 AM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

Duffman: Hey, Duff lovers! Does anyone in this bar love Duff?

Carl: Hey, it's Duffman!

Lenny: Newsweek said you died of liver failure.

Duffman:Duffman can never die; only the actors who play him. Oh, yeah!

 
At September 14, 2006 4:07 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Richmond Fair Demolition Derby!!! YEAH!!, How'd I forget that was on soon!!.

The Demo Derby is awesome!!!.

Rain = Not as good, cars get stuck in the mud, and get counted out of the derby while they are still running. Makes for less smashes. And therefore less fun.

Show up DAMN EARLY if you want a seat, they fill up FAST.

So tomorrow at 7:30 eh... It's on like donkey kong.

 
At September 14, 2006 5:20 PM, Blogger Ferda said...

Marge: This has been one of the most magical evenings of my life.
Homer: I'M HOR-NY!
Marge: I don't know what you said, but I'm sure it was beautiful.

--------------
hahahaahaaa

 
At September 14, 2006 9:34 PM, Blogger Rienne said...

Smithers: We're gay, we're glad.
Patty: But don't tell mom and dad!

Or:

Homer: Stop the madness! Start the movie!
Lisa: Maybe we better calm Dad down.
Bart: I prefer to egg him on. Dad, has the movie started yet?
(Homer screams in rage)

I Heart Simpson's quotes.

 
At September 14, 2006 11:47 PM, Blogger Dish said...

It's good to get some tips from a "demo derby" veteran. Thanks Matt! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home