u The Main Dish: Dear Dish on Bargains in the Work Place

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Dear Dish on Bargains in the Work Place

Hello Dishing with the Dish/Trish,

I have an issue with my co-worker. I agreed, via email, that I would exchange 12 M&Ms (plain chocolate kind) for fake spider cobwebs to decorate my cubicle. I deliver the M&Ms (on a silver platter), this persons eats them, and then they proceed to magically forget that they don't have any cobwebs at all. Apparently he left them at somebody's house.

Am I unreasonable to demand that he goes to the convenience store and buys some so that he may follow through on the bargain? And go buy it *now* since I gave him the M&Ms *now* and didn't make them wait? I don't know if I can wait this long for fake spider cobwebs. I feel cheated.

Sincerely,

Anonymous

Dear Anonymous:

Your first mistake was agreeing to trade valuable chocolate for useless fake spider webs.

Your second mistake was making a deal with a male co-worker. I hate to say it, but men are infamous for their lack of reliability when it comes to making bargains. I do give you some credit for at least getting the deal in writing, but next time it should be signed in blood or you should make sure that the exchange of goods/services is timed more carefully.

In order to resolve your current predicament, I suggest the following: Conveniently forget your lunch and your wallet. Ask the co-worker in question if you can borrow some money. Put on your best pouty/hungry face so that he won't in good conscience be able to say no. Take the money and go buy spider webs (or replacement chocolate). When said co-worker asks you to repay the loan, deduct the cost of the spider webs from the repayment. Whatever you do, don't allow him to charge you interest on the loan or you will end up in an even worse quandary.

In the future, I urge you never to trust men. They are evil, devil's spawn.

Dish

3 Comments:

At October 21, 2006 5:23 PM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

Hmm...clever. Dish, I think you're going to easy on the male co-worker. This is just one example of the decay of civilization.

 
At October 22, 2006 6:42 PM, Blogger Dish said...

While the male co-worker in question may deserve a harsher fate, keep in mind that you have to continue to work with him. It would be best to maintain a certain level of congeniality.

 
At October 23, 2006 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eggcellent Advice Trishinator!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home