u The Main Dish: Shout Outs

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Shout Outs

Thanks to Ford Prefect (aka Duncan) for another fun Halloween party. One small complaint: Was it just me or was that granny beyond creepy?! It really got disturbing when he/she was trying to tickle my feet with a peacock feather. Eep!

Also, many thanks go out to Michelle, my fabulous new seamstress. Without her, my post-shame Eve costume would not have been the same. Michelle, you are a wonder with polar fleece. :o)

I also have to give Michelle credit (?) for introducing me to one of the most horrific yet hilarious cds of all time -- Paul Anka, Rock Swings. This cd is like a car wreck for your ears. You can't bear to listen, yet you can't seem to stop yourself either. Basically on this cd Paul Anka takes some of our favorite rock hits and turns them into something utterly unspeakable. He puts everything to jazzy music. You are listening and thinking "this sounds oddly familiar" but there's something not quite right. It's your favourite rock songs turned into something worse than elevator music. Trust me. It's possible. And yet, there is something that makes you keep listening...

Don't just take my word for it. Get the cd yourself and listen to how Paul Anka desecrates hits such as Survivor's EYE OF THE TIGER (this was the most painful to accept - no one is dropping to do push-ups to this version), Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit, Van Halen's Jump (envision the opening using Big Band trumpets) and many more. He even does the Cure's Lovecats. How does Paul Anka even know the song Lovecats?! And why did he have to do this to it?! WHY oh why?!!

The other question is: Why did the artists give him the rights to cover these songs? What could they have possibly be thinking? Even my own precious Clapton gave in to Paul Anka's crazy whims and let him cover Tears in Heaven. I am sorry but I will NEVER understand this. NEVER.

It helps nothing that Paul Anka is beyond scary looking on the album cover.

3 Comments:

At November 01, 2006 11:05 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

Paul Anka is the king. Leave him alone.

The first time I heard his rendition of 'Smooth', I remember I was in Hamburg on the Rieperbaun. Quite the experience.

 
At November 06, 2006 6:58 PM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

Dear Dish-o-rama:

While attending last Movie Nite, I fell asleep before the end of Nacho Libre.

What happened in the end? Was nacho smoted by the evil wrestler? Did the orphans all live?

Cheerio,

 
At November 09, 2006 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha! I TOLD you it was addictive! It's the absolute worst album ever made in the history of music, and yet I LOVE IT! Go Paul go!
Suggestions for the next (retro)album: Thunder (AC/DC), Money (Pink Floyd), Rock and Roll All Night (KISS), November Rain (Guns N Roses)...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home