u The Main Dish: Weekend Highlights

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Weekend Highlights

So, after months of waiting, Friday night was finally the night for Gordon Lightfoot. Headed out to dinner first at Johnny Farina. Have been there before and found it quite tasty, but this time the pasta was extremely lack lustre. However, let it be known that you can get 15% off if you have a ticket to a NAC show for that night. One bill/discount per table.

So, after dinner, off to the NAC. The minute good old Gord walked out onto the stage and started to sing, I almost started to cry. He is just so awesome and his music is so touching. Definitely glad I went to this concert. Would do it again in a heart beat. The good thing about Gord's music is that all of his songs are fairly short, so even though he was on stage less than two hours, he still managed to fit in a huge number of classics. The one downside was that he didn't play Go-Go Round. How can you beat classic lyrics like "In her cage she danced for him, although a hundred eyes were turned her way." Anyway, I hesitate to even mention a downside because, I just love this guy. And his concert was spectacular. He can really do no wrong in my books. Concert wrapped up pretty early (10 p.m.), but let's face it. Poor Gord is not exactly in the prime of life these days. He is 68. Side note: Yes. Apparently I lied when I said he was 76 but it was unintentional. I have no idea where I got that number. Someone must have deceived me. Anyway, it seems much more reasonable to still be rockin when pushing 70 then when pushing 80. End of sidenote. In any case, it was totally understandable that he would end early in the evening given his age and also the fact that his voice is not what it used to be since he has had vocal chord surgery and whatnot. Also, a few years back he nearly died from some crazy ruptured artery in his stomach.

Anyway, set included a ton of songs including Cotton Jennie, Beautiful, Sundown, Railroad Trilogy, Carefree Highway, Rainy Day People, Baby Step Back, If You Could Read My Mind, Ribbon of Darkness, Sit Down Young Stranger, Old Dan's Records, Early Morning Rain and, of course, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Basically words cannot describe how great this concert was. If only I could have seen him in his heyday.

After the concert, Jennie and Caroline sensibly went home, while I carried on to the Heart and Crown. I was earlier than expected and toured the bar a few times. When I didn't find Palmer and co. any where, I stationed myself next to the bar to enjoy the Maritime-esque music while I waited. Apparently I am both blind and deaf because James and Mike G had been in the bar all along and were apparently shouting and waving at me, but I didn't see or hear them. Anyway, after a few minutes standing by the bar, dear old grandpa, the lonely old man that comes to the bar by himself, asked if he could buy me a drink. This led me to believe a) he was trying to pick me up or b) he felt sorry for me standing there by myself. Things are pretty bad when the old man who goes to the bar solo is taking pity on you. Ha ha. Ryan and friends arrived soon after and we had a good laugh about the situation.

Good times were had by all. A great finish to a fabulous night. The band was rocking (played some good classics). Pics available courtesy of Palmer's World. And is it just me or does Nicholas (friend of Phillip's) look slightly jaundiced in all of his pictures. Ha ha.

Saturday night attended a friend's birthday party. This little shindig turned out to be all married/engaged couples and me. Not sure how that happened but anyway. It was fine aside from the rude comments from some random guy I barely know. It is a bitter tale. I won't get into it.

Fast forward to Monday night. The parental unit arrived in town on Sunday night and on Monday we all went out to support the Habs at Scotiabank Place. This was an awesome game. Habs won 6 to 3. As the French say "Go abs! Go!" I'd say probably half the place was filled with Canadians fans. Busloads of them had come up to Montreal. At the end of the last period, Sens fans were filing out, heads hanging in shame. Meanwhile, the Habs fans stayed till the very end, dancing and cheering. They also danced and cheered all the way out to the parking lot. The French certainly know how to celebrate. Someone had even dressed up as Bonhomme Carnavale and was being carried around on other people's shoulders. Samuel got plenty of compliments on his new Montreal Canadians booties. I am still singing Olé, Olé,Olé,Olé!

3 Comments:

At November 14, 2006 10:59 PM, Blogger Dish said...

I probably also should have mentioned that we all had a good laugh over James' "curfew" and 10 minute grace period. Good work at keeping your menion in line Ferda! ;o)

 
At November 15, 2006 9:51 AM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

...That's solid gold weekend goodness.

 
At November 15, 2006 10:20 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

Funnily enough, those two German guys (including Nicholas) were NOT friends of Philipp's. They were just random German guys at the Heart and Crown!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home