u The Main Dish: Childhood Television

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Childhood Television

So, today at lunch we were talking about unwanted house guests. One of the girl’s I work with is expecting about 10 guests for the weekend, some of whom are apparently very picky eaters. This turned into a conversation about giving them PB&J and telling them to suck it up, which then led to the singing of that Sharon, Lois and Bram song "Peanut, peanut butter...jelly", which then led to Michelle and I to both bring up the the Fred Penner sandwich song. I LOVE that song, but nobody really knows it. Everyone looks at me funny when I sing it. I was so impressed to find someone who also knows and loves it! Yay! A work friend who might understand my quirkiness! Here are the lyrics for all to enjoy:

Sandwiches are beautiful
Sandwiches are fine
I like sandwiches
I eat them all the time
I eat the for my breakfast
And I eat them for my lunch
If I had a hundred sandwiches
I'd eat them all at once!

Classic! Anyway, this also led to further discussion of childhood television show favourites and how all kid’s shows are a bit strange. The following examples were discussed:


* Ok. So Mister Rogers had to change from his outdoor shoes to his indoor shoes, but why did he have to also change his sweater. And isn’t it a bit odd to have a trolley track running through your living room.

* Was Casey Mr. Dressup’s son? If so, why did he live in a tree house in the backyard. If not, why did he live in a tree house in the back yard?


* Also from Mr. Dressup, why was it that Finnegan could open his mouth, but never said anything audible and Casey was always talking, but his mouth was just painted on?


* Why was Fred Penner bringing kids to his secret fort in the woods and why did they always show him crawling through that log to get to it?

*What was with that whole Polkaroo scenario from the Polka Dot Door?


* Why did they have to make everyone able to see Snuffy on Sesame Street? It was so much better when only Big Bird could see him!

* What did those kids on Let’s Go really do besides where cool 70s t-shirts with their names on them in fuzzy letters?

* Why did Fran, from Romper Room, always see the same kids when she looked into her magic mirror?

So many mysteries! Feel free to add some more. That is if anyone still reads this thing, since, according to Matt, my popularity is dwindling. :o(

5 Comments:

At March 17, 2006 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what about the friendly giant? i dont think his chairs looked too comfortable. Especially that one that he insisted "two could curl up in".

 
At March 17, 2006 6:20 PM, Blogger Dish said...

And why did Rusty live in a sack. It's like they were getting ready to cut him up into parts to eat him!

 
At March 19, 2006 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back to Mr. Dress Up- What was in that shed in his backyard? That always drove me crazy!

 
At March 19, 2006 11:02 PM, Blogger Dish said...

Much like I always wondered what was in that restricted area of the Robertson library. I think Artoo can also relate to this train of thought (i.e. mystery door in the men's washroom, fourth floor, Phase IV). :o)

 
At March 23, 2006 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, the restricted area- down the stairs and behind the velvety rope- what oh what were they keeping in there??? By the way, there's a mystery door and stair case on the U de M Campus- it's outside...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home