u The Main Dish: A New Olympic Sport

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Saturday, March 11, 2006

A New Olympic Sport

Volkswagon Luge. The other day after all the freezing rain, I came home from work to discover that getting into my parking garage was going to be quite a feat. First, I must describe it for anyone who hasn't seen it. Instead of the garage, I actually prefer to refer to it as "a rapist's paradise." To get to the garage you have to enter by a very small, narrow alley between two buildings. You would barely even know that the driveway is there, actually. The alley is long and extremely narrow. I feel like my Jetta just barely fits through it. Then you go down into a dungeon of a parking garage. It is competely dark except for one or two bare lightbulbs that barely allow you to see anything, one of which is frequently burnt out. There is no door on the garage, so basically anyone could wander in there and be waiting for you when you get home. I am also pretty sure that the ceiling contains asbestos.

And all this for only $100 per month and a waiver that says you agree to park at your own risk.

Well, back to the orginal story at hand. The other day I came home to find that the entire alley was coated in a sheet of ice. Do you think that my $100 bought a little bit of sand or salt? Oh no, nuh na no! First, it was so slick, I could barely get off the road and into the alley. The tires were just spinning on the ice.

Once maneuvered into the alley, just narrowly avoiding crashing my car into the brick walls about 2 inches from my car on either side, I did not even have to use the gas pedal. My car slid down the alley with me frantically trying to keep it straight so as not to scrape the sides of my car off.

There was a huge sigh of relief on my part once safely in the garage and a decision that maybe I should start a new olympic sport of luging with my Jetta.

I mean really though. A little salt wouldn't kill you people! There has to be room for 13 cars (at least) that park in that garage. When you stop and do the math on that, that is 1300 per month in easy money. How much does a bag of salt cost? $10? That would still be a profit of $1290.


I am also starting to worry a bit about the fact that when it rains, water now cascades down from the ceiling. I had to put my wipers on in the garage the other day! I have visions of going down to get my car one day and having to dig it's poor little crushed body out from under the rubble that is the collapsed roof of my garage.

At your own risk sucks!

8 Comments:

At March 12, 2006 6:46 PM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

This just proves just how good women drivers are.

 
At March 13, 2006 10:26 AM, Blogger Matt said...

why don't you ask them for the $10 to go buy salt?
Buy salt?
Spread the salt?

 
At March 13, 2006 11:01 AM, Blogger Ferda said...

it's the principle Matt! She shouldn't have to do that. Not for $100/month - which is highway robbery btw.

 
At March 13, 2006 5:08 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I am just playing devils advocate.

I was hoping to start a debate where my point would be "it's not just the $10 worth of salt" it is also... hiring someone to spread the salt, getting someone to check the road conditions, etc... I thought a downtown parking spot at $100 is a sweet deal (hence the park at your own risk)

 
At March 13, 2006 5:11 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Trish your new job is seriously hurting your blog popularity.

(assuming popularity is on a equal ratio to posted comments)

 
At March 13, 2006 6:51 PM, Blogger Dish said...

I know! I know! I can't comment during the day any more. I think I am going to have to rethink this whole career thing. There are more important things to life.

 
At March 14, 2006 10:45 AM, Blogger Ferda said...

haha definitely time to re-evaluate your priorities :P

Matt, you're such a pot stirrer.

 
At March 16, 2006 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. You need to re-evaluate. I'm feeling neglected here!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home