u The Main Dish: Fear in an Elevator

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Fear in an Elevator

Unlike love in an elevator, when it comes to fear in an elevator most people do not "kind of hope [they] get stuck". (And yes, this is my blog and I can do whatever I want, so I WILL put my period outside of the quotation marks in the old school fashion, thank you very much!) Ok. Sorry for that little grammar interruption.

Back to the elevator scenario...today after work as I was on my way out of the office, I hop on the elevator, much like I do every day. Today, I was in the elevator all by my lonesome, congratulating myself on actually leaving the office on time (no last minute urgent text like yesterday). 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 KATHUMP! The elevator first feels like it is going to plummet and then jolts to a stop throwing me about a bit. The lights dim. The indicator then goes back to 3.

TOTAL PANIC! I am freaking out by myself in the elevator. In a frenzy, I just start pushing the door open button. The lights are flickering and I am afraid they are going to go out completely and leave me in the dark. The first ten (or so) times nothing happened, but then finally the doors opened. Luckily for me, I was stopped at an actual floor and not in between floors because then there would have been a for real and true hysterical meltdown.

This made me think: the elevator is a device you take for granted. I have no idea what proper "I am stuck in an elevator" etiquette is. Do you push the alarm button? If you do, where does the alarm sound? Are you supposed to pick up that emergency phone? Who answers the emergency phone? If you push the alarm and pick up the phone, are you really sending a distress signal to two different people or does it all go to the same person? Does it connect you with someone in the building or is there some man in Timbuktu at a call centre waiting for elevator emergency calls?

Now I am freaked out about the shoddy elevators in my building. I'll be in the stairwell if anyone wants to "kiss my sassafrass". (How does Steve Tyler come up with these lyrics? I love it!)

2 Comments:

At September 16, 2006 2:42 PM, Blogger Rienne said...

But...how'd you get out? You didn't resolve your story. For all I know you're still stuck in that elevator and are posting from your blog (maybe you have a wireless laptop and there's a connection close by) and this is your cry for help.

Dish, are you ok? Are you still in that elevator scraping the paneling off and eating it? Or being more MacGyver like and opening up the Call box and scraping the plastic off the phone wires in an effor to not die of hunger.

 
At September 17, 2006 8:57 PM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

(And yes, this is my blog and I can do whatever I want, so I WILL put my period outside of the quotation marks in the old school fashion, thank you very much!)

I'm shocked and appalled. I can't even look past this to understand the anguish involved in the elevator escapade.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home