u The Main Dish: Dear Dish on Manipulation

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Dear Dish on Manipulation

Dear Dish'ola:

Every time I talk to my brother, he brings up this Nintendo Wii thing. Sometimes blatantly, sometimes subtly. But he always does. So I find myself thinking the other day, 'hmm……I think I should buy him one for Christmas.' After all, he really wants it. This is what gainfully employed siblings can do for the younger ones.

Then it dawns on me…….he's using the same tactic I used to use on my parents! Bring it up over and over again, and then it sinks into their subconscious and they wind up caving in. I've turned into an adult and am prey to the manipulation of youth! So my question for you is, should I buy him the Nintendo Wii??

Sincerely,

An Adult with Money

Dear Adult with $

It is practically guaranteed that your brother is also using this tactic on your parents. He has just broadened his horizons now that he knows you are a sugar mamma. Do you really want to take away your parents’ joy at being manipulated by their children? That is exactly what you will do if you pre-empt them and go out and buy the Nintendo Wii.

Instead, I suggest you buy your brother socks and underwear for Christmas just to teach him a lesson. If you’re feeling more altruistic, perhaps you could buy him a game for the new system your parents will inevitably buy for him.

Happy Ho ho.

Dish

7 Comments:

At November 23, 2006 9:23 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Wii's are fun.

Buying a Wii might take some extra planning, as they are not easy to come by right now.

Check with stores as to when they expect the next shippment in.

Pre-orders might be a good idea, if you can find a line that is not too long.

Otherwise Walmart or Futureshop might be the best bet.

YAY Wii!!
(I [heart] my Wii,
I also heart lamp)

 
At November 23, 2006 9:28 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Also,

"Happy Ho ho" is wrong on so many levels.

;)

 
At November 23, 2006 9:37 AM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

Somewhere in the world, there is one sad little brother, contemplating Dish's demise for taking away his Nintendo Wii. oh yes, and he's also wearing a pair of brand new Christmas socks too.

 
At November 23, 2006 10:20 AM, Blogger Rienne said...

I have one of those! Except it's not in the form of a little brother but in the form of a boyfriend. He wants a Wii and, sadly, I am being guilted into buying him said time waster.

What do I do???!!

 
At November 23, 2006 8:56 PM, Blogger Dish said...

Forget this Wii business. I am still trying to perfect the art of Super Nintendo. How sad is that? ;o)

 
At November 24, 2006 9:34 AM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

Dish, forget the Super Nintendo. The original Nintendo is where it's at.

 
At December 05, 2006 3:34 PM, Blogger Matt said...

You can play BOTH Super nintendo AND Nintendo games on the Wii.

Rienne - I say buy him a Wii, and be thankfull he doesn't want a PS3 ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home