u The Main Dish: An interesting day of training...

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

An interesting day of training...

So, today was a day of training. Basically, all TB employees are required to take this course at some point. The general description was that the course would provide information on the future of the TB. Now, as you can well imagine, I expected this one to be a bit of a snoozer, especially since I just joined the Bureau in February and we had someone speak to us about the future of the Bureau at that point. I am happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised.

The person facilitating the course was Donald Barabé, the Vice President. He did a fabulous job. He was a really good speaker and actually held my interest for the whole day (not that many course facilitator's can manage that!). The only time my attention waned a little was when a slightly hysterical participant started going off on a major tangent.

Anyway, Mr. Barabé = very cool. He’s a big wig, but still seems in touch with the little people and wants to hear their comments. He demonstrated said coolness when he referred to the six degrees of separation between himself and Kevin Bacon. He reiterated said coolness when he said, "We want to train our young, not eat them" when referring to new translators coming into the Bureau, which totally made me laugh. However, the ultimate moment came when he was reading a PowerPoint slide that said something about new language frontiers and he actually stood at the front of the room and made the Vulcan "live long and prosper" hand symbol while reading the slide. I nearly lost it.

On a random side note: The new Bond movie was quite fabulous. Going in, I was not convinced about this new blonde Bond, although really, I wasn't a huge fan of PB. One thing I found hilarious about this movie was the fact that usually there are scenes with women coming out of the water at the beach/pool wearing some slinky bathing suit. In this one, it always seemed to be Bond himself coming up out of the water in some weird role reversal.

Also really funny was in the torture scene (that sounds disturbing, but let me finish) when Le Chiffre tells Bond that he has kept his body in excellent shape. Cause that is really what one guy wants to hear from another! Oh well, every Bond films needs it share of cheesy lines. This one was no exception. All in all, this movie gets many stars/cookies/ice cream scoops...what have you. One of the best Bond movies in a LONG time. Good work Daniel Craig - I am completely convinced!

2 Comments:

At November 29, 2006 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A. Yes. Mr. Barabé WAS awesome. Who knew economical/political/world domination mumbo-jumbo could be so interesting?

B. Daniel Craig is demonically sexy. I could barely contain myself the entire movie. He should always be naked/half-naked/in wet clothes. I'm just sayin'...

 
At November 29, 2006 12:21 PM, Blogger Palmer said...

Oh please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home