u The Main Dish: Pauvre Dish

The Main Dish

Looking for the Spoon...

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Pauvre Dish

Well, I am back in the land of the living after a courageous battle with the dreaded strep throat. When I was a kid I got strep throat at least once per winter. I wished and wished that I would be able to get my tonsils out like my best friend Tracey and be allowed to eat as much ice cream as I wanted, but alas, my tonsils remain in place to this day.

Anyhoo, I basically ended up trapped in my apartment for 3 days unable to eat or get off the couch. There was little or nothing appealing on tv and I wasn’t really in the mood for any of my movies, most of which I have seen a bazillion times already. As a last resort, I dug out some old VHS tapes (some unlabelled) and decided to see what I could see. This was extra funny because all the old commercials were on there too. Betty Rubin is just as creepy now as she was then.

Anyway, here is a listing and short review of the movies I watched.

The Labyrinth (1986)

A fabulous Jim Henson film, on my list of all time favourites. It also doesn’t hurt that it stars David Bowie as Jareth the Goblin King. Others might be interested to know that the female lead of Sarah is played by Jennifer Connelly. Basically the gist of the movie is that Sarah wishes that the goblins would come and take away her baby brother. Wish is granted, courtesy of David Bowie. Sarah then has to solve the Labyrinth to save her brother.

Favourite line (of course by David Bowie): "You cowered before me and I was frightening. I have reordered time. I have turned the world upside down. And I have done it all for you! I am exhausted from living up to your expectations."

Driving Miss Daisy (1989)

This movie basically follows the story of how a friendship develops between an older Jewish woman and her African-American chauffeur. Stars Morgan Freeman, Jessica Tandy and Dan Akroyd. Also fairly classic, in that it makes a statement about racial issues. Not really one I would watch over and over, but quite good nonetheless.

Return to the Blue Lagoon (1991)

Stars Milla Jovovich. A sequel to The Blue Lagoon (1980) starring Brooke Shields, which I haven’t seen and never want to. From what I have read both of these movies seem to have almost the exact same plot. Do yourself a favour. Don’t EVER watch this movie. Painful at best.

The Wizard (1989)

Stars Luke Edwards, Fred Savage, Christian Slater and Beau Bridges. Two brothers run away from home and hitchhike to California to compete in a video game championship. The beauty of this movie is at the end where they are at the competition and competitors have to play a fabulous new game, which has never been seen before. Super Mario Brothers 3.

I also love this key line spoken by Fred Savage when Lucas is flirting with Haley (the girl who joins their adventure): "Just keep your Power Gloves off her pal." Classic.

Rain Man (1988)

"Definitely" a classic film starring Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise (before he became too annoying for words). Charlie’s rich father dies and leaves all the money to an autistic brother, Raymond, he didn’t know he had. Charlie kidnaps Raymond in an effort to get his share of the money.

Dustin Hoffman is amazing in this movie. Fabulous flick.

Well, that about sums up my weekend o’ fun. Thanks to Dr. Steve for the drugs, Johanna for the freshly squeezed juice and my parents for the year's supply of treats, including ice cream, popsicles and other goodies. Also thanks to Jennie for the Candy Cane Chocolate Fudge Crackle ice cream. Now, I just need some molten lava cakes and I will be in heaven. :o)

2 Comments:

At November 23, 2006 9:36 AM, Blogger Sister Merry Kerry said...

Oh, Dish. I know the pain of strep throat. At least, a decade ago I did.

I'm glad your feeling better. Antibiotics and Candy Cane Chocolate Fudge Crackle ice cream does wonders. Perhaps the doctor should prescribe both.

 
At November 28, 2006 7:55 PM, Blogger iBenoit said...

Jealous of your Movie watching!

your virus - you can keep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home